Friday, November 21, 2008

Have You Joined Your Craigslist Community?

Just yesterday, I posted five $5 Enfamil formula checks on the MKE Craigslist site. Because I don't list things for free, I asked $2 for $30 worth of checks.

Within minutes, I received four emails from willing buyers. Usually, I give the product to the first person who replies to my post, but I noticed a familiar name wanting the checks--an agent with whom I work! (It's such a small world). In keeping with the American Family loyalty, I called the agent and let him know that the checks were his (for free since the checks were free to me). He was surprised to hear from me, but grateful that he wasn't buying the checks from a crazy lady. Since his 8-month son is eating one of the most expensive types of Enfamil due to gassiness/fussiness, I happily and confidently passed along the checks.

Lately, I have been obessed with Craigslist. I've sold some things on it for Katie's Kelty backpack fund, and I've bought LOTS of diapers on it--just last week I bought 120 diapers for $6! That's about 5 cents a diaper for size 3 diapers. NOT BAD!!

Here are a few tips I wanted to point out in case you want to join the Craigslist Community:

1. Never accept checks. I read a post where a lady sold her crib and changing table for $225. She was given a check that bounced! Needless to say, she never heard back from the person who bought her items.

2. Never give away items for free. Every once in a while, people will "call out" others who might be scamming them. For example, one lady read a post about someone needing free baby items for her soon-to-be-born baby. The nice lady gave away some free baby clothes to the person in need...a few months later, the nice lady gave away some more free newborn stuff regarding a different post and the same "person in need" showed up at her door (months after the supposed due date of the baby). I theorize that the person collecting the "free" items usually tries re-selling them on Ebay.

3. Set up bulk or little-used email account. Because I don't want to share my name and real email to everyone with whom I do "business", I use a bulk email address for Craigslist communication. I prefer to use the most anonimity as possible until a buy or sell is definite.

4. Try to meet in a neutral place for item exchanges. Ok, I usually let this rule slide whenever I buy or sell baby items. Before giving out my home address, I call the person doing the pickup, and if I hear a baby in the background, I consider that person legit. Maybe I'm too naive, but I consider it safe to give a woman with a baby my home address.

No comments: