Sunday, February 22, 2009

5 Ways to Get Your Resume Deleted from My Email Account

One of my job requirements is finding staff for agents in District 44. Needless to say, I've come across many resumes in the past few weeks. Here are some real-life examples of what NOT to do when sending a letter of inquiry or resume to a potential employer:
  1. Don't Play the Pity Card: "I just lost my 4th job in three years due to the economy..." Um, four jobs? As a hiring personnel, I'm thinking there's more to blame than the bad economy.
  2. Don't throw a bunch of buzz words together and call it an objective: "To secure a career in a company that promotes through advancement and education while exhibiting my experience"
  3. If you're responding to a job post where the hiring company isn't listed, don't write: "I feel that I would be an asset to your company"
  4. Don't misspell the job for which you're applying. Example: "I'm applying for your data enrty position"
  5. And finally...don't send your email without re-reading it at least once: "Thank you for taking the bitchy time out of your busy schedule to review my resume. I would like to explore the possibility of joining your company in a capacity which will provide the opportunity to learn and grow professionally."

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Ashley!